The Chase Sapphire Preferred® card is currently one of our favorites and typically the first we recommend. It offers a mega-bonus of 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points which can be transferred 1:1 to a variety of airline and hotel partners across alliances (including United and Hyatt).
You can also get an additional 5,000 points when you add an authorized user and make a purchase within the first 3 months.
The card offers double points on all dining and travel expenses. It also offers no foreign transaction fees, and has the annual fee waived the first year. The signup bonus earns you enough points for two round-trip flights in Economy Class, or one international flight. If you love it as much as we do, you’ll be using it every day.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $625 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named a ‘Best Credit Card’ for Travel Rewards by MONEY Magazine
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- $0 foreign transaction fees, plus chip-enabled for enhanced security and wider acceptance when used at a chip card reader
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value – that means 1,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points
- Travel and shop with confidence with premium Travel and Purchase Protection Benefits, including Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Purchase Protection and more
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95
This is our #1 overall recommendation. If you don’t have it already, now’s the time!